Wednesday, November 18, 2009

something to be happy about


Hallelujah! He's falling asleep on his own! I've been told that it takes 3 nights to train them to fall asleep on their own at night and I thought they were all crazy. I just knew that it would be different for Tristan because he's umm...a special boy. I knew I would be nursing the boy to sleep until he was 8 years old. We started the training process a few nights ago. Night 1 - he cried for 1 hr and 15 minutes. Night 2 - he cried for 30 minutes. Night 3 - he cried for 15 minutes. Night 4 - he cried for 1 minute. And last night, Night 5 - I laid him down and he rolled over to his side, and watched me walk away while I closed the door. (He did look a little sad while I was leaving). But there were NO tears. NO crying! It took awhile to decide to start training him because it's just too sad to hear him screaming in his room for so long. Then when we would go in and check on him, he would look so thrashed. He stands up the whole time and is sweaty and so exhausted, but wouldn't give up. I hope that this keeps up. I may be speaking too soon. I never thought this day would come! We now need to work on his naps.

12 comments:

Nancy said...

I am so happy for you! Good Job! Now, I hope it lasts! xx

Anna said...

That is huge! Your life will be so much easier now. You can have your evenings back!!!!! So great.

Bill Hastings said...

Congrats! You're over the first hump! (Then there's the "no" thing, and toilet training, and ...)

Melanie said...

It really doesn't take that long and once you have done it, even if you have to do it again, it goes a lot faster.

Tasha said...

He looks so sweet and peaceful in that picture. Go you on doing this! I totally agree that it is so so hard. But, it is worth it. Oh the tuff things we have to do as parents. He is such a cutie!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm sure it's so hard to let the little guy cry...glad things are getting a little easier. Love him!

Whitney said...

Yea! Fingers crossed that he keeps it up!

Kim said...

So true, 3 nights! I always have to hide in my room night one. Good job sticking it out. He is a beautiful boy!

cassidy said...

Yay! I'm glad you have trained your little man to fall asleep on his own. The first couple of nights sound rough but you did it! I hope he keeps it up.

Emily C said...

that's great news!! :)

and i love your blog header. so cute

Alisa said...

I bet it is such a good feeling to conquered that. Congrats.

The Jacobs said...

Good job! It took me until Luke was 16 months before we finally did sleep training. =)