Wednesday, November 11, 2009

influenza a

T must have caught something while we were in California. We were around a lot of people and he was held by many. I hate seeing him sick. You just don't know how bad he is feeling or what hurts. It started with a runny nose. We went in for his standard Doctors appointment and doc said that he had a little cold, and to monitor it. It then turned into a 102.6 fever and doc said we should come back in. This was a rough half day at the doctors for both of us. He wanted Tristan to run some tests, so he sent us all over the hospital.


First of all, Tristan hates being poked at, even with the stethoscope, which is pain free, he is screaming. Or when they take his temperature in his ear, it's all over. So I knew that these tests would not be so fun. We started with needles in his arm to take his blood. Two needles, 3 vials to fill. 2 people to hold him down, plus the nurse taking his blood. Of course, this is so hard to watch as he screams and squirms. Then off to get his urine tested. Which isn't that hard, they just had to put a bag on him, and we come back later when he's shee sheed. The hardest part of all was watching him get his lungs x-rayed. They had to put him in a cylinder clear tube, with his arms up in the air. He was stuck so he couldn't move, screaming of course. Heart wrenching.

So anyways, after all the testing was over, we found out that he has Influenza A, which is in the same family as Swine. I'm starting to become a big fan of his doctor, he called us 3 times that day to give us the results, or to check up on baby T. But what I didn't like was how a couple of his phone calls scared me. He was urgently telling me to go to the pharmacy right away and get him on the meds he's calling in. Then later that night he called and he was telling me about Swine Flu and how there are many babies who do not survive this flu, how it's associated with death, yada yada yada. Scary for me right?

We didn't get much sleep for the next couple of nights as T was struggling to get comfortable. The amazing part was the good spirit Tristan was in through all of this, aside from all the testing at the hospital. He still remained active and happy (for most of the part, he did have some bad nights). A couple of days into the flu, he started vomiting, a lot. Then his fever came back. We were back at the doctors (by their request, I'm not just a crazy mom that brings him in whenever any little thing happens), and they didn't show too much concern, just that this is all part of the flu and to wait it out. He's almost 100% better, with just a little stuffy nose still. I'm not a fan of having a sick kid. I probably got 3-4 hours of sleep every night, and all of the doctors appointments are not fun. But we are so glad to see our little Tristan getting better.


Poor baby boy was put into the bath during one of his high fevers.
A cheerful Tristan gets into his pajamas. This was actually one of his bad nights.
Drinking lots of fluids.
Not throw up on his face, just a rice cracker. So serious though.
Playing with his cords as usual. No rest, all play.

10 comments:

Brooke said...

It is sooo hard to watch your child be sick. And you cant do anything about it. Poor little Tristian. Glad to hear he is getting better. About a year ago Collin was sick for two weeks. Throwing up and all that jazz. He lost so much weight. He went from a chubby happy boy to a gaunt skinny boy. I went to the doctor several times. They said he had a virus and just had to get over it. And he did but it took him two weeks. He is finally getting a little bit of chubs back.

Vauri said...

Oh poor little Tristian and poor you!! That is exactly what my kids had, I'm so glad he is feeling better! Having a sick kid you can't do too much for is the worst!!

Bill Hastings said...

Glad to hear T's almost back to normal. It's scary when the little ones get so sick.

Drew and Stormi said...

Poor little T...Kai and I had the H1N1 a few weeks back...just be glad you were not sick too, I think that's the worst. T has a great mom to stick by him to cuddle and sleep with. I'm so glad he's feeling better...NO FUN! I was showing Kai pictures of T on your blog and he can say "tristan" it's so cute and he keeps saying "mo, mo, mo (more)" Miss you guys!

Tasha said...

Poor baby!! I do not like it when my boys get sick either. I think the fevers are the worst. I stress out when they run fevers. I am glad he is on the mend. So scary!!

The last Unicorn said...

Oh my gosh... that is scary! I am glad he is doing much better though. What a relief! I actually just gave in and got the N1H1 vaccination today. There are risks with everything, but so far so good :)

Whitney said...

SCARY! So glad he's better. No me gusta the swine flu. It's pretty crazy.

Anna said...

What an ordeal!!!! Why did they do all that testing, do you know? In UT they aren't testing anymore. They are just assuming it's the H1N1 because everyone has it. That stinks, but glad he has bounced back. Hugs to T.

elise said...

so sad, but i'm glad he is doing better. and i am sure that no one thinks you are a crazy mom. i'd do the exact same thing.

kori said...

scary! nothing is worse than a sick kid. brad calls me a nazi now because i make him wash his hands first thing when he walks in the door. i am really trying to avoid tanner getting the flu. glad little Tristan is feeling better