Tuesday, July 6, 2010

16 months

Photobucket
"Mom, I can empty your clothes all over the bed. I can do anything I want".

This post is a little late, but very necessary! I need to recognize my little 16 month old who has changed so much...and to vent a little. Sometimes writing about it all makes me realize that it's not as crazy as I think and I can actually laugh about it. This blog is very therapeutic for me sometimes. :) Anyways, here are some of the 'adorable' things that our little toddler has been up to lately.
  • T started climbing out of his crib. It was really scary at nights because we thought he would hurt himself. We weren't sleeping much because we were trying to keep our eye on him. No more 'cry-it-out' naps in the day time because he can just hop right out. I tried setting up the porta-crib thinking that it would be harder for him to jump out, but he was out in less than 2 seconds. (I watch him on the video monitor). He has mastered his escape; he pulls himself up with his arms, throws his legs over the rail, drops his legs and hangs on the outside of the crib, and then plops on the floor. We decided to put him in a toddler bed, which he has taken to nicely and is less frustrated in, but he is now free to roam out of his room when he wants. He ends up in our bed the last stretch of the night, not fun. Hopefully we will get it all figured out soon!
  • Now that T is more free, naps in the daytime are even more difficult. Car seat naps and then transfer to his bed is the only way now.
  • New words! "uh-oh", "quaker?" (aka Cracker), "mama?", "dada?", "Hiiiii". Everything he says ends in a question.
  • The other morning I turned on Fraggle Rock for him, went in the kitchen to make him some breakfast, he followed me and saw what I was doing, then he ran back to watch his morning show. About 2 minutes later I went to bring him his breakfast and he was already sitting in his high chair, sitting straight up, watching his show and waiting for his breakfast. Apparently he can climb into his high chair now.
  • He started swim lessons and can now blow bubbles in the water and kick his feet. He loves his swim class!
  • He's obsessed with his Dad. I feel like he's a little sick of his Mom, just a little. Dad is WAY more fun!
  • Nobody really warned me about terrible ones! He throws awful tantrums now, kind of uncontrollable. He goes limp and screams. Maybe he's teething hardcore, it's always hard to say. Or his lack of sleep is catching up with him!
  • He is so high on life and I love it. Curious about everything.
Although frustrated with the boy most of the time, we still can't get enough of him. He seriously is so much fun and so dang cute!

7 comments:

Tasha said...

Seriously that is one cute kid! Seriously. And yes, the 1's are when the good fits start. For me I just find them funny though. Wait until 2 or 3. Not so funny anymore. But, climbing out of his bed ...NO FUN. That is seriously horrible. I would be frustrated too. It was so fun reading all the things he is up to these days. Such a cute little guy. Love it.

Melanie said...

I feel like every new accomplishment is exciting and yet frustrating since it means adjusting things just a little bit more. He sure is growing up fast!

Anna said...

Oh, man. Kids can be rough, but as you say he is cute and it makes up for everything.

Marci said...

i love your comment about the terrible 2's. i thought it was just me till Lincoln was throwing a fit in the store or while we are eating out, and sympathetic mom's just look at me smile and say, "he's 2, right?" i've realize too that boys are completely programed for destruction. like throwing your clothes everywhere, coloring on the walls with your lipstick, ripping books etc. but it's still amazing.

Marci said...

link can get out of his bed too. terrible as it may sound, i turned the doorknob around and i lock him in his room. he knows it's locked and rarely even tries to get out anymore. now we are trying to get him off a bottle. argh!

Alisa said...

That is a bummer about his crib. I can't believe how strong he is!

Bill Hastings said...

We loved the visit. It's fun to see T change. So much easier being grandparents!