Wednesday, June 3, 2009

transition to stay-at-home mom

It has been 3 months since I have officially been unemployed and it feels weird. I have worked since I was 15 years old, mostly in an office with the 8-5 hours. When I’m at the grocery store at 2:00 in the afternoon I feel like I am going to get in trouble for not running my errands during my lunch break and I feel I need to be back at the office. It’s just weird! But let me tell you, it’s wonderful. I always knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. My mom was home with us. I remember coming home from school and seeing her van in the driveway, (the big bubble van). It was the best feeling to know that she was inside waiting for us to come home.

To my surprise, when it came down to telling my work that I was not coming back, it was not easy. I went back and forth on whether I should really do this. Financially, the second income is nice. Working has been my life for over 10 years, I don’t really know any different. I also thought about when/if I wanted to go back to work in the future, I would have this big gap on my resume. But of course all I had to do is look at baby T and I knew I wanted to be with him. I didn’t want to miss him grow. This was a decision that I thought was best for my family and me. I know that every family is different and have different circumstances and some mothers need/want to go back to work. This was what I wanted to do.

So now that I am home...what do I do?? The days fly by SO fast. Caring for a child is a huge job, which leaves me little time for myself. Our typical day; Tristan wakes up at 6:30am, I change him and then bring him into bed with us and feed him and we fall back to sleep for about a half hour. Dad wakes up and plays with T before he heads off to work. We work out together. T gets a bath. He wants to eat again. I change him. He naps. I’m able to either clean, eat something, or sew, etc....for about 45-1 hr before he wakes up. We go through it again. Change him, feed him. Nap. Do his exercises. Run some errands. Walk on the beach. Before we know it, Christian needs to be picked up. Where do the days go? I love it though. I love being home and having a clean house and having meals planned for the week. (Christian is rolling his eyes right about now). It’s not easy but I’m working on it. Our lives are a little more sane.

For Mother’s Day, my mom got me the Dr. Laura book, “In Praise of Stay-at Home Moms”. I’m excited to read it. Overall, I'm really enjoying my time with Tristan. He truly is a blessing in our lives.



Grocery shopping with Tristan. Cute right?

8 comments:

The last Unicorn said...

Since I am not a mother yet... I can't say I know how you feel. But I am a fan of Dr Laura and I know that you are doing the most important job there is! I know there will be days you wonder who you are besides little T's mom... and I know yoiu are so much more than "just" a mom. Take time to indulge in the things that make you happy. I love you and I admire you for the work you are doing :)

Bill Hastings said...

Wise choice! You'll never regret it.

test said...

i am NOT rolling my eyes. you're amazing and you know it. you forgot cookie time in the daily schedule.

Anonymous said...

I really can't wait until we get to the point where we can have kids and I can stay home. I was afraid I would get bored last summer, but it never happened...There is always more to do. Enjoy!

Anna said...

I'm glad you are loving it. I think it is so great to be able to be home for my kids. Life is so crazy and the little people get big so FAST. I think it is important to be around so you don't miss out on anything, and to be around to see your little guy take on the world. It goes so quickly; you blink and they change (I'm feeling kind of sad my baby Anders is growing up so fast). It is a crazy, often thankless job, but I LOVE it too. Wish we could hang out!

sara said...

you are really lucky. going back to work was really hard for me, but i did not have a choice. one of these days (lets hope sooner rather than later) i will get to stay home. i'm glad you made the decision you did. you won't be sorry :)

Tasha said...

It is funny how taking care of kids sometimes feels like you are "doing nothing" and yet it takes up the whole day and you are exhausted by the end of it. You have made a good choice Shandra. It is hard at times and wonderful at others. But, either way it is always worth it. I am grateful for my 3 boys and the opportunity I really do get to stay home and raise them.

Sarah said...

i'm not gonna lie, the transition to stay-at-home mom was, surprisingly, a big shock for me---it's really hard! but i agree with you 100%; it is the BEST decision. i feel very lucky to be able to be able to spend my days doing what i do.