Wednesday, March 9, 2011

the contest is on



"The contest is on." That's a statement Shandra has come to know well over the years. It means one of the world tour contests has started somewhere in the world and it's gonna be streaming live on the internet. It means that I'll be posted up watching it, night or day, potentially for long periods of time. Meals enjoyed at the computer, alarm set at random times during the night to catch a heat. About the only reason I wouldn't be watching is if I had the chance to be surfing myself, and it would have to be worth it to miss a contest.

We don't watch the Super Bowl or even the commercials during it. We don't watch the World Cup or Final Four or any playoffs. We don't even really pay attention to the Olympics. No American Idol either. In our home, surfing is all there is.

The first contest of 2011 just finished yesterday and I'm just so happy that another season has started. To celebrate, here are some photos from last December's Pipeline Masters we went to:

Photobucket

Photobucket
Tristan dogging while uncle Gavin looks on. He didn't feel very well after we got to the beach but was a champion. Didn't complain at all and even took a nap for a while in a makeshift tent.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Always an honor to see Kelly surf in person.

Dane Reynolds:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Dane recently posted a video with some contest footage on his site and I spotted myself in the crowd. Here's the same wave as above:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the contest we went to a little spot I know and Gavin and I went out for a surf while our loving wives chatted on the beach. Young Ice T was still feeling bad and slept some more...hate seeing him like that.
Photobucket

Fun

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Good stuff. I could use a day at the beach right now. And I heart that picture of T-bone giving stink eye.

Gavin and Shawna said...

Amen brother. I'm often in the dog house when 'the contest is on.' Last year's PipeMasters is going to be on Fuel TV tomorrow night. It'll be fun too watch it again after having seen it live. I'll let you know if I see your head on TV too! -G

Whitney said...

Fun tims! You got some great pix, up close and personal. I love that you're in Great Dane's footage.

Gavin and Shawna said...

You guys need to come out for the Hurley Pro at Trestles in Sept, so we can hang out with you there too