Friday, August 21, 2009

Mainland Trip - California

Tristan made his big debut on the mainland. This was really my first time traveling with a baby, aside from our Big Island trip, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. T-bone was a champ. I had so many extra hands to help with Tristan, it was wonderful. The plane ride over to California was somewhat of a nightmare however. T and I went over early while Christian stayed behind for work. It's not easy sitting in a confined space with an infant on your lap wanting to play with everything around him. Thank goodness the woman next to me was wonderful and didn't mind Tristan pulling and sucking on her colorful blouse, or when T shredded up her magazine, or when I poured my whole glass of orange juice on her lap. She was a trooper.

We had so much fun with my family in California. I managed to squeeze in a lot during my stay. It's a 3 hour time difference so I think I was sleep deprived the whole trip because I tried to adjust too quickly. I was going to bed around 1 am and waking up at 6 am (3 am HI time). Which is why I got sick for part of the trip. :( We took a million pictures while we were there. Here are a few highlights;

Swimming Lessons
We went and cheered on cousins Von and Addi during their swimming lessons one day. Addi can free-style swim! What?? We were so impressed. And Von kept a cute smile on his face almost the entire time. I found out that first-timers are free, so I signed T-bone up for a lesson the next day. He did so good! He was dunked under the water several times and didn't shed a tear. Just cruisin'. When his instructor handed him back to me he said, "This is unheard of...". (that a baby could be dunked so many times without crying). He may say that to all parents but I was proud.


The next day. T's pumped.
Waiting for his name to be called. He was a little nervous.


Orange County Fair
My Mom, Dad, and the three of us girls went to the Orange County fair one night and we hit up the Huey Lewis show. This was one of the highlights of my visit. We danced our little tushies off. Huey's still got it!

Love getting sick at the fair.


Friends
T met so many new friends while we were there.
My dear friends from Elementary school through High School, Adrienne and Hanna, and Hanna's cute little girl Rylee. Tristan loved auntie Adrienne.
Baby Monroe Sinclair. Shellee's little girl (friend from Jr. High and High School). I think that Tristan fell in love with her. He loved holding her hand.
The old gang got together for a BBQ. It was so cool to see everyone! Tommy gave Tristan a quick lesson on grilling. (friend from Elementary School and up). T-bone was a big hit.
(Left) - All three of these babies are 5 months old in this picture. Babies come in all shapes and sizes. This is Jack and Lucy. I grew up with both of their mommies, Laura and Natalie. (Right) - Kelly DeVilliers. Seeing Kelly is always a must. She's one of my good good childhood friends.
(Left) - T with Tatum. I know Tates through Auntie Whitney and Uncle Jim, who were with us but sadly didn't get any pictures of them :(. (Right) - The Baker Clan came to visit us. Her kids are so cute and crazy. I know Nanci from my college days.

Entertainment
It's always a treat coming to my parent's house. T had plenty of things to do to keep him occupied, as did I.

Shopping
We of course had to hit up Ikea and the bargain stores while we were in town.
Tristan LOVES to shop. He loves sifting through all the clothes, picking out his favorite colors and fabrics. It makes him happy.

Family
Chels and I have birthdays two days apart. Ironically, this year we both got each other aprons for our birthdays. (I made Chelcie's apron :). It was so weird that we both thought of the same gift!

From California, we were off to Salt Lake and then to McCall, Idaho. More pictures to come!

8 comments:

tatum said...

baby T and big T (me) make such a ca-UTE couple. :) so glad we could hang with you guys. thanks for taking the time and we can't wait to play again!! xoxo

Tasha said...

So fun!!! I am glad you got to come to Cali and had lots of fun while you were here. Sad I missed you :( T is seriously such a cutie. I am not surprised he was such a big hit!

Anonymous said...

So much fun! I can't believe they give babies that tiny swim lessons. But he was such a champ. I'm impressed.

Whitney said...

Wow, you did see lots of peeps and have lots of fun when you were here! Lots of cute pics of lil' T. Hope you're feeling better!!

Anonymous said...

(Okay that post must have taken you ages!) Pretty sweet. Looks like you had a great time in CA. So fun to visit family and old friends.

Anna

Drew and Stormi said...

T is such a champ in the water! Love all the pics, it looks like you guys had a good time. Miss you

Bill Hastings said...

Great pix! Glad you could have that time in California.

cassidy said...

Wow you guys saw so many people! I'm sure Tristan was a hit. I love the video of his swimming lesson. He is a Hawaii baby for sure!