Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I call him: Golden Boy

Last night there was a breakthrough at the Hastings Project. After the devastation of learning we lacked sufficient sugar to make chocolate chip cookies and appease the sweet-craving monster in both of us, we were forced to dig deep. Deep within the depths of the frig, leftover smore ingredients from our faux-camping trip in the previous post were discovered. Those who know me know what happened next: intense deliberation as to how to act on this new found opportunity. Those who have dabbled in homemade, fire-less smore making know what I have and did struggle with at that moment: microwave marshmallows become rubbery. It's really disappointing. Just not the same, almost disrespectful to smores, in fact.

As I sat and pondered on how to utilize these valuable assets and maximize my chocolate dessert enjoyment, I had a revelation. The microwave has always been wrong, how could I have overlooked the oven? I saw it perfectly in my mind before I had even completed the physical act. Oven temp: 450-broil, perfectly swelling marshmallows gaining a perfect golden outer skin, and then a near camp-fire-perfect combination of graham, melting hersheys beneath the oven broiled masterpiece. Surely this mallow wouldn't rubberize if these surgically precise actions were taken...

We followed the above steps, and like I already knew in my heart, it turned out unreal.
I will never camp again, for now, there is no longer a reason to.

8 comments:

Bill Hastings said...

Makes my mouth water!

D Oesterle said...

This is too funny! They look scrumptious!
-stormi

Anna said...

I used to roast them on a fork over the gas flame of the stove. I think your way is WAY better.

The Jacobs said...

Sounds DELICIOUS!

Stefanie Stephenson said...

Oh, they look awesome! That makes me so jealous. I wish we had marshmellows...or graham crackers...or hersheys chocolate...or an oven. Oh well, I guess that marvelous invention of yours will have to wait about a year for the Stephenson household. On the other hand if you want a delicious scorpion or starfish on a stick we've got you covered!

Anonymous said...

mmm that sounds delish! And they look amazing. This way they don't get charred like over the fire...however, there is a little bit more to camping....maybe...

Blayden Family said...

I LOVE SMORES, and dude we totally do it on the stove to, that is best part. Why not?? When your not camping man, go to the store get the goods and make it happen. WE miss you to Shandra, and we will so come and visit soon, don't you worry babe.

Tasha said...

Those look more than delicious. I am now craving a smore!! What a geneous you are. Now, I need to get the supplies :)