Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Homemade Dinner Rolls in the Kitchen Aid

I'm sharing these two dinner roll recipes on my blog because they have changed my life.  You have no idea how far I've come with making dinner rolls.  I had no clue about yeast, and letting dough rise, and kneading the dough, etc.  I wanted so badly to make yummy bread but it was always a disaster.  Christian used to call my dinner rolls baseballs.  They were so hard and heavy, you could throw them across the room and break a window.

Another thing that has saved my life is my kitchen-aid!  I use it almost daily.  I really don't know what I would do without it.  In fact, it's ready to get serviced because a screw is loose inside, and I think I'm going to take it in right before my trip so that they can fix it while I'm gone and I won't miss it!  

The thing that I love about these recipes is that they only take 1 hour to make.  That's usually when I start thinking about what to do for dinner, an hour before.  The other thing is that the kitchen aid does most of the work.  Anyways, without further ado, my 2 most favorite go-to kitchen aid dinner roll recipes;    


Alyse's Dinner Rolls
I learned about this one from my friend Alyse.  She said that this is a recipe from when she was a little girl.  Before the kitchen aid, her mom and all of her sisters would knead the dough for 10 - 20 minutes by hand. 

2 cups Water
2 Tbs. Yeast
1/2 cup Sugar

Place in kitchen aid bowl and let rise for 10 minutes.  Then add and mix the rest of the ingredients below;

2 tsp. Salt
4 3/4 cups Flour
1 Egg
1/4 cup Oil

Let kitchen aid knead on med/high for 10 minutes.  Let rise in bowl for 10 minutes.  Roll them into balls.  I use a combination of flour and oil for my hands and counter space.  Let rolls rise for 10 minutes.  Bake for 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees.  

Pinterest Rolls
This one I learned about from pinterest.  It makes a smaller batch, about 10 rolls.  It's SO easy and so tasty. 

In a kitchen aid mixer bowl, mix the following and let stand for 15 minutes; 

1 cup Warm Water
1/4 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Oil
2 Tbs. Yeast

Add:
1 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten

Gradually add 3 1/3 cups flour.  Dough will be kind of sticky.  Let stand for 10 minutes.  Spray hands with non-stick cooking spray (or flour/oil) and form into balls.  Place balls so they don't touch on a cookie sheet.  Let rise for 20 minutes.  Back at 375 for 10 minutes.

The recipes are very similar.  Please try these.  I hope they will change your life like they have changed mine!

13 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm excited to try these. I could use a fast, easy roll recipe. Thank you! May I ask a dumb question? What does it mean to roll into rolls? The only rolls I've ever made are Anna's crescent rolls.

Vauri said...

Perfect! Just the other day I was looking for a fast roll recipe on pinterest. I will for sure be trying these!

Courtney said...

I love this. I love rolls and bread in all shapes and sizes. Can't wait to try.

The last Unicorn said...

I cant wait to try these! I totally know what you mean about the bread thing... I was clueless until a friend showed me what to do. Now I am making my own wheat bread! I have to share with you the most delicious roll recipe that my friend gave me. It is like a dessert when you serve it with homemade strawberry jam... yum!!!

http://aliciasrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/01/jerris-buttery-pan-rolls.html

Shandra said...

Sorry for all of the grammatical errors! Found a lot after reading the post. It's not a stupid question Whit. :) I changed it to "roll into balls". Sorry for the confusion. I too LOVE Anna's crescent rolls! I should have added that to my post as well because Court was the one that taught me how to make rolls using that recipe. It's so good!

Emily C said...

i can't wait to try these. i'm rotten with dinner rolls-- hardly ever make 'em. now i'm definitely gonna try these.

Anna said...

I used to make bread all the time. And then we moved here and because of the elevation my last loaf of wheat bread came out like a brick. Sick. So I guess I should start playing around and get back on the breadmaking bandwagon. These recipes look great.

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Okay, I have to try these! I'm afraid of yeast recipes b/c I don't really know how to make them...but I love bread. This is on my list! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Tried these rolls, I don't know if it's because I love in a humid state of Kansas or what but I had to add an extra 2 cups of flour for it to rise. But they were still really good, will make these again

~Cassie said...

Just wanted to say that I have made both recipes and that Alyse's Dinner Rolls are by far the family favorite. Thanks for the recipe!

Marisol said...

I just baked these homemade dinner rolls in my Kitchen Aid! Quick and easy to follow recipe!They look great and are tasty! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Me too Military Adventures- I had to add another two cups flour- it was like soup in the bowl of the Kitchen-aide

Nicole said...

I wanted to make homemade rolls to go with Christmas Dinner for my family of 12. I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. They turned out amazing! Everyone was commenting on how delicious they were, asking where I bought them and then asking for the recipe. I have made 2 more batches already and just can’t keep them around. I wasn’t too sure when the dough first started mixing as it was pretty sticky and not coming together but by about the 8 minute mark it turned into a ball of dough, even cleaning the sides of the bowl. (Do not walk away from the KitchenAid at this point as it will likely walk right off the counter). It was still softer and stickier than I remember my grandmother’s bread dough looking but they gave us 12 of the softest, heaviest and most delicious rolls! Thank you for the recipe, it will be used again and again!