Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Busted!

I have definitely learned my lesson and I am now afraid to drive on the road. Last month I was driving into town to pick Christian up from work. The sun was in my eyes and it was really hard to see and I almost hit a pedestrian crossing the road. Unfortunately, the pedestrian was a police officer...on duty. So I felt really bad, waved at him to let him know I saw him and I was sorry. Two blocks later I get the tap on my window. He ran after me, pulled me over and sent me to court.

This morning was my court date and it was really terrifying. I thought the whole experience was going to be informal and quick, but instead we had a courtroom filled with people who were silent. When the judge arrived, we all had to stand up, "All Arise". We had to go up one at a time in this dead silent courtroom and talk in a microphone and explain to the judge our side of the story. Long story short the Judge fined me $150 plus a $40 admin fee. Lame! My fine was one of the highest in the room. Apparently they passed this new law because pedestrians were getting hit all the time and I had to pay the price, even though I didn't hit anyone. Lesson learned.


11 comments:

Bill Hastings said...

Ouch!

The Blakes said...

Ha! That picture is hilarious! That is lame you had to pay a fine!

Drew and Stormi said...

Oh Shandra! That stinks that you have to pay that much=( At least it wasn't more than that!

kori said...

I love the picture.

The last Unicorn said...

That sucks! If it makes you feel any better... I had my car towed twice last year and each time it cost over $200!!!!

Gavin and Shawna said...

Shandra~
You found us!!! YEah...Gav and I were so excited. How are you guys? We were a little shocked to see your move to HI. We didn't really hear how it all played out post school. But anyhow, I also LOVE, LOVE your hair that color.
So what's new with you guys?
Thanks for tracking us down
~Shawna

Anna said...

I hate it when the sun is so bright you can't see. Too bad it was a cop and not a "civilian". That sucks.
Love that cop picture by the way....so funny.

Dana and Chase said...

oh my gosh! what an ego trip that cop had! thats redicoulous!!!!!!!!!!! if thats even how u spell it haha love u!

Alisa said...

Ian already loves the oatmeal cookie dough. Anything Ben & Jerry's is amazing.

Tasha said...

That is crazy!! So sorry that happened to you. I don't think you should have been fined since you didn't actually hit him. I would have been terrified in the court room too.

Kelly de Villiers said...

I was wondering how that court date was going to play out...so scary!
I loved seeing you and Christian. I'm going to send you the photos soon. Miss ya!