Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter weekend part I

I feel like our blog has just turned into a photo blog without much writing, and I know I will regret it later because it's fun to look back and read about our happenings, but I don't always have the time, or I guess I'm not really a creative writer.  My mind usually goes blank on what to say, and then I just put captions on the photos.  I'm lazy maybe?  But I will try harder to journal more.  

This Big Island trip was long overdue.  The last time we headed over there was for Thanksgiving!  You would think that we would make it over there more often since we are only a couple of islands away, but the plane tickets are ridiculous!  We were excited to be there for Easter this year.  It was a super short trip, but well worth it.  We needed a mini-vacation.  Day one we colored eggs and were lazy.  Christian and I spent some time in town running some errands, but we spent most of the day lounging.  Day two we made our way to Waipio Valley with our friends, Am, Ian, and baby Enzo.    

Heading down into the valley always freaks me out.  4 wheel drive only.  It's super steep, and the road is narrow, with drop offs on the side.  We are encouraged to take off our seat belts for the ride down, in case our car rolls.  It's always a little creepy when you see a couple abandoned mangled cars at the bottom, wrapped around trees.  The picture above is of T holding on tight while we drive into the valley.  It seriously feels like you're going to tip over. 

It looks like the wild horses have multiplied.

Beautiful black sand beach.  One of my favorite things to do is run around and play on the beach with my little man.  

Betsy girl flirting with Uncle Ian.

Bathing beauty!  Rubbing her feet in the warm black sand.


I loved the bright lime green moss on the rocks.  
Enzo and Betsy getting to know each other.  I think B was a little nervous about Enzo's forwardness.
Loved the rock texture in this shot.

So, we were visited by a couple of heavy rain squalls.  The boys continued to surf but the rest of us had to move our party to the trunks of our cars.  And we snacked and snacked and snacked, and Tristan sat in the front seat and pretended to drive us places.    
As we were leaving we realized that I had never seen the falls in the back.  It's beautiful back there!  I always love coming down here.

11 comments:

Bill Hastings said...

Great pix! Kids are cute. Hi'ilawe looks beautiful.

Courtney said...

So beautiful. I'm homesick! I swear Waipio is never that clear. And your kids are adorable.

Nancy said...

Oh my, that drive down is so scary!! I remember last time we went with you guys, we were measuring the HUGE puddles at the bottom to see if the jeep would make it though! Good memories! Great pictures!

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Your kids are too cute. It isn't quite right for them to be so cute. And I dream of the day we get to go back to Waipio. It has been WAAAAAAAY too long.

Tasha said...

How fun! I am in love with Betsy and that adorable bathing suit. I am glad you were able to go spend Easter with family.

Emily C said...

gosh, these photos are gorgeous. yall live in paradise. we just watched the movie last night called The Descendants (with George Clooney) and we were craving Hawaii soooo bad!!!

sara said...

I just want to squeeze that little Betsy! She's a doll. And T is getting so big! I can't believe how fast they grow. What a beautiful beach! I would also be freaked out about the drive down. I'm glad you survived it:)

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

That is so gorgeous!! Sounds like it's a little scary to get down there, but worth it once you do! Your kids are so cute. Love the photos!

Alisa said...

Such cute pics!

The Thomson's said...

OH MY GOSH! BETSY'S BATHING SUIT IS SO STINKING CUTE!!! (Does it feel like I'm yelling that? Maybe I am, that's how cute it is.)