Sunday, August 15, 2010

stairway to heaven

Photobucket

On Saturday for my birthday I thought it would be fun to do something different. Christian's mom was in town and offered to take Tristan if we wanted to go play, so we did! (Thank you, thank you!) For many years when Christian and I would drive on the H3 we would try and spot the Ha'iku Stairs, aka Stairway to Heaven, along the side and up the ridge. It freaked us out and always intimidated us. Plus, we always heard that it was closed and there was a guard that hung out at the base, kicking people out. I imagined him there, with a rifle, shooting people that attempted it. So we never went to check it out.

Just a few historical facts about the stairs: It began as a wooden ladder and was installed in 1943 to enable the construction of antenna cables between two valleys. These radio signals could also reach US Navy submarines, even while under the water. At the highest peak of the stairs, it is 2,800 ft. In the 1950's, the wooden stairs were replaced with metal steps and the building at the peak was then used by the US Coast Guard as a navigation system. 3,922 steps! The trail remains closed due to community complaints and neighborhood traffic.

After hearing many successful hiking stories from close friends we thought that we would give it a try! The guard goes on duty at 6:00 am, therefore, we left our house at 4:45 to get started on the trail at 5:30. We beat the guard! And it was still dark.

(A million pictures below. Sorry! I couldn't narrow it down)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The sun rising.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The highway and cars getting smaller and smaller. This is the part of the trail where the sides just dropped off.
Photobucket
We just accomplished a steep ladder climb and turned around to take a picture.
Photobucket
Do we seriously live here? Unreal.
Photobucket
The sunrise reflecting on the mountains.
Photobucket
Secretly wanting to die. Even before we reached half way, Christian and I had to pull off because we felt like throwing up. After the half way point, it got a lot easier.
Photobucket
Wanting to hurl a little.
Photobucket
Chinaman's hat in the distance.
Photobucket
We reached one of the bunkers. Very cool and old.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Our friend Jen met up with us about half way. She's pretty hardcore and caught up with us.
Photobucket
I believe that this was an old pulley used to bring up equipment. I love old, rusty ruins.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Breathtaking. It looks like a painting.
Photobucket
This is where our final destination was. Almost there!
Photobucket
After a couple of hours, we finally made it to heaven! It was freezing up there, but amazing! We were so high up!
Photobucket
My cute and curious husband couldn't stop there and wondered if the trail continued.
Photobucket
and there he goes.
Photobucket
Next time we will be prepared to continue on that ridge. He found a well worn trail that looks like it is used pretty frequently. Where does it go? We've only heard myths and legends...
Photobucket
Just hanging out in heaven, with steep cliffs on both sides of us.
Photobucket
It only took about an hour to head back down. It destroyed my knee a little but over all, we did just fine. No other injuries. Or bugs! It was a perfect day, with perfect weather.
Photobucket
Opps, we must have missed this sign when we came in, it was too dark. We did get a chance to walk past the 'scary guard with a rifle' on our way back to the car. He was actually really chill and was asking hikers if they wanted their pictures taken. Funny. No sniper rifle.

We are a little sore but so glad that we did it and will will be ready to go again soon. Anyone want to join us?

10 comments:

Tasha said...

That is so awesome. Just gorgious. Wow. Do you really live there? Breathtaking. Amazing how many stairs you had to climb though!! You are hardcore!

Tasha said...

And Happy be-lated birthday :)

elise said...

That is seriously awesome. I can't believe you made it all the way up! I don't know if I am that tough...

Beautiful pictures.

The last Unicorn said...

amazing! I would love that

Courtney said...

That is amazing!!! I want to go!!! Happy, happy birthday!

jenn (+ will) said...

so awesome!!! i would love to go someday!

Bill Hastings said...

Truly spectacular! I'd love to go. Think I could make it?

Alisa said...

That is my favorite hike! I would do it anyday, especially at sunrise, that is the best.

Anna said...

Completely gnarly. I mean seriously! I think I would die of vertigo, but it looks so amazing. I may even try it someday.

Whitney said...

I want to go! It's so unbelievably beautiful there. Next time we're on O'ahu...